10.1.06

For The Love of Bullying & Intimidation.

I confess, as a cat there are a few things about humans that I will never fully understand. For instance, I have a hard time getting my tremendously adorable, prickly whiskered head around the concept of extreme activism. I realise there are a good deal of evil people out there, looking to steal the coat off some poor, defenceless seal pup's back, but when does activism end and fanaticism begin? Or, to put a finer point on it, when do good intentions yield place to self-righteous condescension?

This curiosity emerged while listening to a commentary questioning the political correctness of wearing a fur coat that had been handed down from one generation to the next. It intrigues me that wearing fur is even considered an issue. After all, I've been wearing it my entire life, and not once have I been splashed with paint by young extremists, groping for attention. Nevertheless, fur is an issue, and a rather nasty one at that.

Bear in mind that my problem is not with the anti-fur campaign as a whole, but rather with the individual who feels he is justified in the destruction of another's property as a means furthering his point. If someone wants to drop multi-coloured dye on seal pups to keep poachers from whacking them with boards and stealing their coats, I'm all for that. I guess the worst thing to come of it would be an upsurge of males called Sid and females called Nancy. However, when it comes to rushing up to strangers on the street, splashing them over with red paint and yelling crude political slogans, I start to question motives. Such actions are less likely to produce positive results and more likely to promote retaliation from extremists on the opposite end of the spectrum, so why engage in them at all? Is it really to further the cause and heighten awareness, or is it to bully and intimidate behind the guise of a admirable cause?

I suppose I lack understanding because we cats have no need to hide our love of bullying and intimidation. Without them our self-proclaimed owners might forget who's really the head and start thinking they can sleep in past breakfast time. Now that would be a true tragedy. Then, we also have no reason to exalt ourselves over others. Perhaps if humans were as secure as their feline betters they wouldn't need to hide their love of power and attention behind a noble façade.

Yours Purringly,

W.C. Humphries II (Mr. Fleez for short.)



READERS REMEMBER! You may now ask Mr. Fleez for his jaded opinion* on your personal situations. Please send your enquiries to: housecatwisdom@yahoo.co.uk.

*DISCLAIMER: By contacting Housecat Wisdom you're asking a housecat for his personal opinion. If you require serious advice, please, write Ann Landers, Dear Abby, or consult a professional psychiatrist.

akw: Grooming salons, Decorations, Kitty Condos, Cat Trees, Cat Toys, Cat nip, Teasers, Lasers, Treats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home